Gardening is one of my favorite ways to unwind. It helps me be present in nature and is a great way for the whole family to have fun. I wasn’t born with a green thumb and have had some trouble growing plants successfully in the past. But after learning some gardening basics, a few simple tips and gaining some experience, I’ve successfully grown many vegetables, berries, herbs and citrus fruits, which give our meals an extra special and healthy touch.
Benefits of Gardening:
1) Gives you a reason to put off work or housework and take a few deep breathe of refreshing outside air!
2) Makes your body strong! I get to use muscles I don’t ordinarily use. When weeding, I’m squatting; when digging or carrying soil, I’m using ALL my muscle groups.
3) Enables you to spend time alone or with your partner, friend or children. Even when my family is not in the mood to garden, they’ll come out and chat over some cold ice tea. Or sometimes after gardening we all relax outside over lunch, tired and admiring the beauty of our hard work!
4) Provides a great opportunity for you to spend time with kids who love to dig in the dirt and get dirty! Not only is it great fun, it is also good for their immune systems. Plus, kids love to watch the fruits of their labor grow.
5) It’s rewarding to grow it, pick it and eat it! Fresh produce right out of the garden tastes amazingly good, really reinforcing the old adage that “fresh is best!” Plus it’s organic and perfectly safe. I know exactly what went on the plants, who picked it and what was involved in the growing process.
6) It’s a way for you and your family to try new foods, like purple kale or Swiss chard.
We work with registered dietitians and nutrition scientists to provide nutrition education and healthy eating tips to help create future healthier generations through good nutrition. SuperKids Nutrition does not provide medical advice, medical nutrition therapy, diagnosis or treatment. See additional information.
© 2017. MelissasHealthyLiving.com and Melissa Halas-Liang MA, RD, CDE. All Rights Reserved.
Website by Urge Interactive Los Angeles